Sunday, March 19, 2006

Reunited, double LP, we're all excited...

Image hosting by Photobucket

So much of the year in hip-hop is taken up by speculation on who should/could/would reunite for another album. In the last few years I've read stories and heard rumours about Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Arrested Development, Snoop/Dre, Fugees, EPMD, Ultramagnetic MC's and many many more getting together to do an album. Now while some of these are true, the others are just wishful thinking. Now where am I going with this, well I'm here to question why the hell we want so badly for artists to reunite.

To cover this point properly I've taken two examples; ATCQ and Wu Tang. Arguably the two bands that every hip-hop fan has wet dreams about reuniting. Now I'm a huge fan of both Tribe and Wu, to the point where I would quite comfortably say they are two of my all time favourite. However, that is precisely the reason that I don't think I want them to reunite.

For the last few years I've gone on about (to anyone who would listen) how dope it would be if Tribe reunited. The glaring problem with this is; "The Love Movement" was shit. It seriously was. Everyone has assumed that if Tribe do reunite then they'll knock out another Low End Theory or Midnight Marauders which is highly unlikely. It's more likely that they will produce another "The Love Movement", which will be worse in relative terms than their last album due to the serious amount of hype it would get.

The same can be said of the Wu, although their musical downfall was maybe less dramatic than Tribe, it was still fairly evident that the chemistry was gone. "The W" had about two or three heaters at best and "Iron Flag", despite being better, was still a far cry from "36 Chambers" or even "Forever". If they were to reunite, I would be more hopeful than if Tribe did simply because the Wu mc's never went away, they just didn't work as a group anymore.

I guess the point of this is to give some perspective. All artists have a shelf life, whether it's one album or ten albums. Prolonging that shelf life may end up ruining the legacy that they left behind, and in the case of these two bands in particular, that would be fucking criminal.

So the problem is, enough time has passed for us to forget that there was a reason why they went their separate ways in the first place. For as long as this genre thrives, it will be rife with talk of artists of yesteryear making a spectacular comeback (S.Carter anyone?). Despite everything I've just said though, I for one will carry on praying for a Tribe and Wu reunion even if the results might make me wish they didn't bother.

Peace.

Now you know how we roll:

ATCQ - ICU (Doin It)
This was the big 'reunion' track that did the rounds a couple of years ago. Unfortunately it is average at best. There are rumours that it was recorded for "The Love Movement" but who knows. Either way it wouldn't have made it on LET or MM.


ATCQ, The Fugees & Busta Rhymes - Rumble In The Jungle

Now this is more like it, from the "When We Were Kings" OST. Dope shit.

Wu Tang Clan - Shoalin Worldwide

Another one that might have slipped your radar, from the "Next Friday" OST. Deck and Meth kill it.


Tags - , ,

|

<< Home

XML FeedGet Firefox! Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Music Blog Top SitesBlog Directory & Search engine
Silktide SiteScore for this website

  Don Carlo
  Propaganda Life
  ScouseInDaHouse
  Wasteland Drifter
  9@home
  R.I.P. Professor X
  Save yo' children, investigative reports!
  Yesteryears Producers: Kay gee
  Hold me down, hand me my cake, dusty, bake, activa...
  It Was Only A Matter Of Time...
  "We rely on the streets we do battle in the hood, ...
  Jigga What, Jigga Who?
  What's Beef.......
  R.I.P Dilla
  Back for good.....
  October 2005
  November 2005
  December 2005
  January 2006
  February 2006
  March 2006
  April 2006
  May 2006
  June 2006
  July 2006
  August 2006
  September 2006
  October 2006
  November 2006
  December 2006
  January 2007
  February 2007
  March 2007
  April 2007
  May 2007
  June 2007
  July 2007
  August 2007
  September 2007
  October 2007
  November 2007
  Altrap.com
  SOHH
  AllHipHop
  HipHopDX
  Can I Bring My Gat?
  Hip Hop Blogs
  The Low End Theory
  Notes From a Different Kitchen
  We Eat So Many Shrimp
  Byron Crawford
  Cocaine Blunts
  Trickology
  Salute To Weed Carriers
  Better Than Yours
  My iPod Weighs A Ton
  The Rap Up
  Straight Bangin
  RapIndustry
  Leave Your Nine At Home
  Digital Sounds in an Analogue World
  B-Boys.com
  Email Us