Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Flowing off the top of the dome...

There was a time I really used to enjoy that staple of a solid mc, the freestyle. In fact a few years back I used to check for every freestyle I could. There was something dope about hearing your favourite mc flowing from the top of the dome, nothing but a mic and maybe a beat.

Then for some reason, I got bored. Now I just don't really care that much anymore, maybe I'm getting older, maybe mcs don't put much emphasis on it anymore, I don't really know to be honest. It seems like now every time I hear someone on the radio, they drop one standard freestyle over whatever the hottest beat of the moment is. That seems to almost always contain most of a verse from one of their tracks anyway, which is weak.

There are still exceptions, Common on Radio 1 a few months ago being a good example, not to mention when Mad Skills dropped by on Westwood. It's just the quality of freestyles seems to have got weaker for some reason to the point where a lot of mcs just do it for the sake of doing it now. I've heard some dope ones this year; a lot from the Dipsets, Jeulz Santana, Skillz, Common and a couple of others, but I've heard a hell of a lot of weak ones as well. I know a lot of heads will just say that I missed the best ones, but I’m talking over the whole spectrum, there are less dope ones.

So for your listening pleasure I've got a couple of dope freestyles for the last few years, just a random selection. Some very well known, so maybe not so well known, if you check for these, drop us a comment with your thoughts:

Big L & Jay Z - 7 Minute Freestyle

It's now legendary and you all have heard it at one point or another. Big L and Jigga just flowing crazy shit for 7 minutes.

A Tribe Called Quest - Freestyle
Being the Tribe fan I am, I had to hit you with this. One of my favourite of all time with Tip, Phife and Consequence flowing for 8 minutes strong.

Krs-One & Common - Freestyle
One that might have slipped your radar. Now this is some of that serious dope shit that I miss. Krs and Common flowing over "Who Shot Ya". Not to be missed.

AZ - Freestyle (b/w Ski Mask)
One from this year I've been feeling. AZ drops serious gems over the instrumental for Ski Mask.

Tags: , ,

|

<< Home

XML FeedGet Firefox! Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Music Blog Top SitesBlog Directory & Search engine
Silktide SiteScore for this website

  Don Carlo
  Propaganda Life
  ScouseInDaHouse
  Wasteland Drifter
  9@home
  A certain level of hip hop snobbery is needed....
  It's not what you want baby, it's what you need ba...
  Wu Tang ain't nuthing ta fuck wit....
  We live baby....
  New Hip-Hop Blog...
  October 2005
  November 2005
  December 2005
  January 2006
  February 2006
  March 2006
  April 2006
  May 2006
  June 2006
  July 2006
  August 2006
  September 2006
  October 2006
  November 2006
  December 2006
  January 2007
  February 2007
  March 2007
  April 2007
  May 2007
  June 2007
  July 2007
  August 2007
  September 2007
  October 2007
  November 2007
  Altrap.com
  SOHH
  AllHipHop
  HipHopDX
  Can I Bring My Gat?
  Hip Hop Blogs
  The Low End Theory
  Notes From a Different Kitchen
  We Eat So Many Shrimp
  Byron Crawford
  Cocaine Blunts
  Trickology
  Salute To Weed Carriers
  Better Than Yours
  My iPod Weighs A Ton
  The Rap Up
  Straight Bangin
  RapIndustry
  Leave Your Nine At Home
  Digital Sounds in an Analogue World
  B-Boys.com
  Email Us